1. While watching the film Ryan, I was initially freaked out by the grotesque features about the characters. But as I watched, the reason behind the features were explained, which made more sense and in fact made the film more interesting since you could tell how everyone was feeling. I found that to be an interesting quality for the film, were you could see the emotions. The film had a very heavy feeling toward the subject. I did not really like the scenes were there was no actual background. It seemed like the characters were just left floating because there wasn’t enough time to come up with a setting. I did not really mind the video game like animation, but in the most part I thought it suited the film.
2. I noticed there were a lot of angles were the view point was angled either down or from a distance or both. This made the characters in those particular scenes seem trapped or of a lower status, which I guess helped Landreth to portray the sadness and depression of some of the characters. Other view points that I particularly liked were those that showed a closer or more personal view of the characters. For example, when the camera was focused on Ryan’s hand that is all twisted and distorted, or when you can see through Ryan’s eyes when he drinks from his mug. These shots make the characters, and in particular for Ryan, more memorable because you get to feel how the character is feeling and see them upclose.
3. This film is about Landreth’s experience with Ryan and his point of view on this meeting with Ryan and their discussion about Ryan’s life.
4. This film was made in 2004.
5. I think that the film was successful because it did very well at the National Film Board of Ontario. It was recognized as a great tribute to a very well known artist form the National Film Board who had created inspiration for many artist after him.
6. The only thing I would change about this film would be in certain scenes were there was no background, such as when Felicity is speaking. She could have stayed placed at the table with Landreth and Larkin, with the same background instead of just the grey.
- robyngladys posted this